Our curriculum is based on the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum as promulgated by the Ministry for Education in England and Wales. The Early Years Foundation Stage curriculum is based on four themes:
- The Unique Child
- Positive Relationships
- Enabling Environments
- Learning and Development
Each theme is linked to an important principle:
- The Unique Child - Every child is a competent learner from birth within the strictures of their own capabilities, and all have the ability to be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured.
- Positive Relationships - Children learn to be strong and independent from a base of loving and secure relationships with parents and/or a key person.
- Enabling Environments - The environment plays a key role in supporting and extending a child's development and learning.
- Learning and Development - Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates, and all areas of learning and development are equally important and inter-connected.
The EYFS is based on principles of ‘inclusion’ which means that Early Year Care providers oppose discrimination and prejudice and welcome all families and children. They provide care and education for a wide range of children in a controlled environment. This enables children to feel safe and supported – thus helping their Learning and Development.
Having said this all the main emphasis is on FUN with regular story times, free play opportunities, arts and crafts activities and musical sessions. Lots of things done at nursery will be messy because tactile sensations are so important at this stage. We will do our best to maintain cleanliness at all times but we can’t always promise that your child will be perfectly clean when you fetch him/her in the afternoon! Playing is hard work, and if a little dirt is spread around, it’s all in a good cause!
Our “Homeroom” Groups
‘Homeroom’ groups are ‘peer group’ classes at Fun First Nursery. Although all children develop at different rates; no one can expect a broadly similar level of development within a similar age range and the homeroom groups at Fun First Nursery take advantage of this fact. The teacher, classroom assistant and helper in each instance will be experienced in dealing with children of that specific age group and will be able to cater for their specific level of development. Divisions for Homeroom groups are:
- Daisy Yellow: 4-11 months
- Ocean Blue: 1-2 years
- Meadow Green: 2-3 years
- Coral Red: 2-3 years
- Sunset Orange: 3 years +